Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Tell Me Why

You may find it weird but I've kept a copy of this photo for a long time now. I don't even know why. Even the reason as to what made it expensive still eludes me. Sold for $3,346,456 during a Sotheby Auction in London in 2007 is the most expensive photo named 99 Cent II Diptychon by Andreas Gursky.

Apparently, two other photograph/art collectors badly wanted their own copies and bought the 2nd print for $2.48million and the 3rd print for $2.25million, respectively, in 2006.
  
I understand why art enthusiasts spend a fortune for one-of-a-kind pieces. It's because they cannot be reproduced. Or, the item's value has appreciated over time. But to shell out millions of dollars for a reprint of a photo only 10 years young is just downright crazy, agree?!

99 Cent II Diptychon
by Andreas Gursky 


 Any surprising discoveries lately? :)

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Wow. This is so cool. I didn't know that! :) Thanks!